The head is made from crispy rice treats. I'm sure you can make it from cake too but I wanted something I could work with easier. This was the first time I was making this cake design. I learned a few things, let me tell you. lol I will give you my recipe to my crispy rice treats in the next post. :)
Let's get started. :)
1. Shape your Rice Krispy treats into a flat-ish oval
shape. Put in fridge to cool and harden. Crumb
coat one side.
2. Stand up on its bottom and crumb coat the other
side. I don't have a picture of its crumb coat.
3. Make ears out of fondant and place on the head
with spaghetti through it to hold it. Here is where I
would change the placement of the ears. I would
set the ears higher up on the head some to make it
look more like Hello Kitty.
4. Roll out your fondant a little on the thick side to
keep it looking smooth. Lay it over your head like
in the picture.
5. Press it into shape.
6. Once it is all pressed on the front and back, lift it up
and trim the extra. Be sure to leave some fondant
underneath the head onto the bottom because it will
set on a smaller neck.
7. Now press it at the ears. Pressing the front fondant
and the back fondant together.
8. With a sharp knife cut the extra fondant close to the
head up the side and side of the ear. Only cutting the
front layer of fondant.
It will look like this.
9. Open it up and pull it forward. Giving it a little
press to secure it to the cake.
10. With a sharp knife trim off the extra up the side
of the head. Let it over lap a little so the crumb coat
doesn't show through.
11. There is that board I made from the body tutorial.
If you didn't make one then just make one now. Also
add a few straws under it to help hold the weight of
the head. Just like you were stacking a cake only
its a head. lol Also add in dowel rods to keep the
head from moving around.
12. Now put it in place. Slowly wiggle it down on the
dowel rods. Now its ready to put the features on there.
The bow is two hearts.
Cut the bottoms from the hearts with a circle cutter.
Just the ends. Also cut a small circle to place in the
There you have a bow. :) You can add the marks
on there if you want. I think its cute either way.
My sister is a smart one. She is the one who made
I made two tiny black ovals for the eyes and
one yellow oval for the nose. I also used the
black food marker to draw the whiskers on.
Next tutorial will be finishing everything up. I just love her flaws and all!!