1. First crumb coat your cake and chill for 30 mins
2. Knead your fondant and then roll it out. I use a
canola oil cooking spray to keep it from sticking.
Less mess for me than powdered sugar. You can
use either. You fondant should be 1/4 inch thick and
even rolled out.
3. After it is rolled out evenly, lift the fondant from
underneath. The more under it you can get before
lifting the better it will be. It keeps it from tearing or
cracking that way.
4. Center the fondant over the cake and lay it over it.
Use a fondant smoother to smooth out the top. That
removes air bubbles and presses the fondant into
5. Starting at the top of the cake smooth out the fondant
all around the cake with your hand. Just lightly pressing.
6. Now work your way down the cake in the same
way. If you start to get wrinkles or folds in the fondant
just pull it back off the cake and re-work it and the folds
will move right out.
7. Once you get the fondant where you want it, use the
fondant smoother to press everything in place and smooth
it all out. This will remove any lumps or bumps you have.
If you get a small air bubble just puncture it with a tooth
pick and smooth it back out again. You can cover it with
8. Cut away the extra and save for another tier or cake.
That's it. :) You just covered your cake in fondant. It is now ready to decorate.
Just let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to help all I can.